Notepad++ is a free (as in “free speech” and also as in “free beer”) Fully and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by GPL License.
Based on the powerful editing component Scintilla, Notepad++ is written in C++ and uses pure Win32 API and STL which ensures a higher execution speed and smaller program size. By optimizing as many routines as possible without losing user friendliness, Notepad++ is trying to reduce the world carbon dioxide emissions. When using less CPU power, the PC can throttle down and reduce power consumption, resulting in a greener environment.
Notepad++ Features :
- Syntax Highlighting and Syntax Folding
- User Defined Syntax Highlighting and Folding: screenshot 1, screenshot 2, screenshot 3 and screenshot 4
- PCRE (Perl Compatible Regular Expression) Search/Replace
- GUI entirely customizable: minimalist, tab with close button, multi-line tab, vertical tab and vertical document list
- Document Map
- Auto-completion: Word completion, Function completion and Function parameters hint
- Multi-Document (Tab interface)
- WYSIWYG (Printing)
- Zoom in and zoom out
- Multi-Language environment supported
- Macro recording and playback
- Launch with different arguments
- Scintilla: The main component of Notepad++, very powerful.
- WinGup: Generic Updater for Windows. A Notepad++ Update Component under LGPL licence, flexible and easy to use.
- TinyXml: An Xml parser (DOM). A component used by Notepad++ to read and write the configuration xml file, tiny but efficient.
- Blue Bison: The cute Notepad++ chameleon logo comes from here.
- famfamfam.com: the source of Notepad++ toolbar icons (the small ones).
- MODX: The CMS used to build this site.
- Ecreate: Designer of this Website.
- ATD Fourth World: The humanitarian NGO supported by Notepad++ project during 2010-2011.
- Plugin Manager for Notepad++: The site of Plugin Manager plugin that allows you to install, update and remove plugins from Notepad++.
- Notepad++ UDL online documentation: Notepad++ User Defined Language online documentation.
- DigiCert: Notepad++ package is signed, thanks to DigiCert.