#What is WebMatrix?
Microsoft WebMatrix is a free, cloud-connected website builder and HTML editor for Windows, geared towards web development. WebMatrix enables developers to build websites using built-in templates or popular open-source applications, with full support for ASP.NET, PHP, Node.js and HTML5. Microsoft developed WebMatrix for the purpose of providing web developers with coding, customization, and publishing capabilities all in one place.
WebMatrix is a successor of ASP.NET Web Matrix, which was released in 2003 and later discontinued.
In 2011, WebMatrix was released to support the large number of open source content management systems and to provide a lightweight web development environment for PHP and the new, simplified ASP.NET web pages. It focused on a clean, simple user interface allowing web developers to build websites from scratch or by customizing open-source web content management systems such as Orchard, DotNetNuke, Umbraco, Joomla!, Drupal and WordPress.
From 2011 to 2012, WebMatrix 2 Beta and RC releases added support for Node.js, mobile simulators, additional website templates, and support publishing to Microsoft Azure web sites. On September 6, 2012, the official release of WebMatrix 2 went public. The release of WebMatrix 3 was made available on May 1, 2013. Unlike WebMatrix 2, WebMatrix 3 requires Windows 7 or later.
- Simplified creation, publishing, and synchronization of companion cloud websites
- Integration with source control systems including Git and Team Foundation Server
- Editing for server-side languages ASP.NET, PHP and Node.js
- Support for jQuery, jQuery Mobile, Less and Sass
- Mobile simulators
- Database manager for MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server and SQL CE
- Deployment tools for files and database
- Deployment to either shared hosting, dedicated servers or Microsoft Azure
- Publishing websites using FTP, FTPS and Web Deploy (an IIS feature for publishing websites)
- Built-in search engine optimization and performance reports
- Remote and offline editing
- Downloading remote sites for local editing
- Database migration from SQL Server Compact 4.0 database to SQL Server Express or SQL Server
- Extensibility through plug-ins
#Visual Studio Code
Visual Studio Code is a free, open-source alternative to WebMatrix.
Build web sites with a free, open-source code editor that runs on OS X, Linux, and Windows. Visual Studio Code is a code editor optimized for building modern web and cloud applications. It includes powerful editing features, streamlined debugging, thousands of extensions, and great support for ASP.NET Core!
- Intelligent editing
- Built-in Git support
- Powerful Debugging
- 1000+ extensions
Build your web site on one of these server-side web technologies.
PHP is a scripting language suited to web development. Fast, flexible and pragmatic, PHP powers everything from your blog to popular web sites.
Install with WebPI
Install with WebPI